There’s a feeling that comes with living in Shaker Heights.
It’s the friendly spirit of more than 100 summer block parties, the nostalgia of children walking to neighborhood schools, the joyful laughter of neighbors skating on icy outdoor rinks, and the sentimental charm of residents marching together in the City’s annual Memorial Day parade.
Community is the essence of Shaker Heights.
Living in Shaker
Eighty-percent of the City of Shaker Heights is located within a National Register of Historic Places historic district. Among the first cities in the Midwest to adopt legislation supporting Green Building and Sustainable Community Practices, Shaker Heights supports fair housing and offers a variety of housing types for all ages and life stages.
- A diverse population of 28,448 — a mix of newcomers from across the globe and long-time residents alike
- Nine distinctive neighborhoods characterized by tree-lined streets, ample sidewalks and extraordinary architecture
- Four lakes and plentiful parklands
- Updated recreational facilities including an outdoor 50-meter swimming pool and an indoor, year-round ice skating arena
- A regional Nature Center identified as a National Environmental Education Landmark
Learning in Shaker
Shaker Heights has a nationally acclaimed school district. More than 80% of the faculty hold a master’s degree or higher.
- 22 college-level Advanced Placement classes
- First school district in Greater Cleveland to adopt the highly regarded International Baccalaureate program at all levels
- On track to become one of only seven International Baccalaureate districts in the country
- Highest SAT scores in Cuyahoga County; 2nd highest in the state
- Top 2% of US high schools in Newsweek’s annual rankings
- Students consistently admitted to Ivy League and other highly selective colleges and universities
Retail and Development
The opportunities to buy local or own and run a business in Shaker have never been more exciting.
- The Van Aken District (under construction): Located in the heart of the City, near the intersection of Chagrin Blvd. and Warrensville Center Rd., this transit oriented development will be anchored by the blue line Rapid and will be easily reached on foot or by bike from many Shaker neighborhoods. It will include up to 120,000 square feet of office space, 200 housing units, and 160,000 square feet of retail and green, community gathering space.
- Fairmount Circle: A mix of restaurants and retail near the John Carroll University campus.
- Chagrin and Lee: Home to the City’s civic center, retail, restaurants and the Shaker LaunchHouse, an innovative public-private partnership fostering entrepreneurial success and job creation through seed capital.
- Larchmere: A blend of antique and art shops and unique restaurants with patio garden seating.
Shaker residents have easy access to the resources of a vibrant Cleveland.
All neighborhoods are located within walking distance of one of Shaker’s two Rapid transit line connecting to downtown and Cleveland Hopkins International Airport. Shaker is Cleveland’s only eastern suburb with this amenity.
Shaker Life Magazine
A Closer Look
Learn more about the community, the natural beauty, and the convenience of Shaker.
Shaker Contemporary Living
CONSIDERING A MOVE TO SHAKER HEIGHTS?
Provide your name and address and we will send a free copy of Shaker Contemporary Living.