A Connections Plan for the Van Aken District
The goal is to develop a placemaking action plan that enhances the public realm, establishes the district’s identity and celebrates Shaker Heights as a unique and specific place.
- A pedestrian plan will identify and enhance gateways, sidewalk connections, lighting, amenities, etc. The plan will create safe paths that connect pedestrians to points within the commercial district and to adjacent neighborhoods.
- A bike plan for the district will recommend appropriate bike parking, bike share options, bike facility markings, etc.
- A wayfinding/signage plan will identify sign types and locations necessary to guide visitors to and through the district via all modes of transportation.
- A green infrastructure and landscaping plan will improve streets to promote and enhance pedestrian travel and aid in stormwater management.
View the complete list of project goals.
A public meeting was held Monday, June 20 at 7 pm at the Stephanie Tubbs Jones Community Building, 3450 Lee Rd. Attendees heard a presentation and participated in several feedback stations, including a "Mad Libs" exercise.
- View the presentation.
- View the Mad Libs responses.
- Read an article about the placemaking process at Freshwater Cleveland.
A second public meeting was held Thursday, September 29 at 7 pm.