Fair Housing Assistance Program
The Shaker Heights Fair Housing Assistance Program (FHAP) investigates fair housing complaints and enforces the City’s fair housing ordinances (search "Chapter 515" in Codified Ordinances). The Fair Housing Review Board and City staff oversee the Program. For more information on Fair Housing, visit FAQs – Fair Housing.
The City’s Fair Housing Ordinances prohibit discrimination in housing based on:
- National origin
- Familial status (families with children under the age of 18, or who are expecting a child)
- Sexual orientation and gender identity
- file a fair housing complaint
- obtain more information on fair housing or our program
- arrange for a speaker on fair housing, predatory lending, or a related topic
- coordinate a training seminar for real estate professionals, condominium associations, apartment management staff, or similar group.
If you believe that your fair housing rights have been violated, contact:
The City of Shaker Heights
Fair Housing Assistance Program
3400 Lee Road
Shaker Heights, OH 44120
The Ohio Civil Rights Commission
615 Superior Avenue N.W.
Cleveland, OH 44113
Ralph H. Metcalfe Federal Building
77 West Jackson Boulevard, Room 2101
Chicago, IL 60604-3507
Fair Housing Information for Housing Providers
All Realtors and persons who operate or manage a dwelling in Shaker Heights with more than four units are required to post the Fair Housing notice (search "Section 515.05" in Codified Ordinances) in their place of business. In addition, housing providers – including apartment owners and condominium associations – must make reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities (such as allowing service animals even if they violate a no-pet policy), and to allow a person with a disability to make physical alterations to housing at the person’s expense.
It is unlawful for a person, on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status, handicap, ancestry, sexual orientation, or gender identity to:
- Refuse to sell, rent, or to negotiate for the sale or rental of a house or an apartment or otherwise to make housing unavailable.
- Discriminate in the terms or conditions for buying or renting a house or apartment.
- Make, print, publish or post statements or advertisements that a house or apartment is available only to persons of a certain race, color, religion, national origin, sex, familial status, or handicap.
- Represent a house or apartment as unavailable when, in fact, it is available.
- Persuade or attempt to persuade people, for profit, to sell or rent their houses or apartments by representing that minority groups are moving in the area. This conduct is commonly known as "blockbusting."
- Deny or make different terms for home loans provided by commercial lenders, such as banks, savings and loan associations, or insurance companies.
- Deny anyone the use of real estate services, such as a broker or multiple listing service.
- Coerce, intimidate, threaten or interfere with anyone exercising or encouraging others to exercise rights granted under the ordinances of the City of Shaker Heights or the Federal Fair Housing Act.
For landlord/tenant inquiries, contact the Cleveland Tenants Organization (CTO) at 216-432-0617.
Answers to Fair Housing issues are available from these local fair housing organizations:
Visit the online home of Shaker Life magazine.