Vibrant Shaker neighborhoods create a more vibrant Shaker.
Enter Moreland Rising: the City- and neighborhood-led collaboration with arts, business and development partners to create a Moreland hub of innovation.
Together, we will:
- Catalyze entrepreneurship along the Chagrin-Lee corridor
- Explore new ways for neighbors to connect with neighbors
- Cultivate an environment that continues to inspire art and artists
- Encourage innovative housing designs that set the standard for years to come
Review our calendar of events and be a part of Moreland Rising, as an artist, developer or an innovator.
Shaker Makers Event
The first-ever Shaker Makers event is Saturday, April 22, 2017 from 10 am-5 pm at The Dealership, 3558 Lee Rd. It’s a show-and-tell-and-touch-and-taste for innovators and creators to discover and explore—all in one place. The event is free and open to the public. Learn more about the event and apply for a booth space. Deadline to apply is April 1, 2017.
Shaker Design Competition
In September 2016, the City announced the Shaker Design Competition, which sought Design/Build teams to create the next generation of top-quality, sustainable middle-income housing on tax-abated land in the City of Shaker Heights. Three teams—one international, one national and one local—received the top prizes at an awards ceremony on February 10, 2017.
- Listen to a recording of the October 19, 2016 Design Competition Interactive Forum.
- Read the press release announcing the winners.
- View the winning submissions
SPARKS! (Spaces, Arts and Parks)
The City has partnered with various organizations to help realize this vision:
- In 2016, Ingenuity Cleveland hosted monthly events aimed at artists and entrepreneurs. Listen to the July 14 panel discussion, The Artists Role in Neighborhood Development: What You Want to See and the August 18 community forum Entrepreneurship: Resources and Regional Impacts
- Shaker Arts Council hosted SHAC Pops Up at The Dealership in October 2016. Visit the Arts Council online for more information.
- Shaker Heights Recreation Department launched the Arts in the Park summer program, a free supervised drop-in arts and crafts-making time for children, in the summer of 2016.
- The Dealership, 3558 Lee Rd., is the Shaker Heights Development Corporation hub for entrepreneurs and inspired business ideas and will provide the meeting space for Moreland-focused events.
Connect with Moreland
In September 2015, the City launched a program to encourage greater involvement of Moreland residents in revitalizing the neighborhood. You can:
- Attend a Neighbor Night from 6-8 pm at the Stephanie Tubbs Jones Community Building, 3450 Lee Rd., on the last Tuesday of every month
- Learn more about the neighborhood online
- View our calendar of events
- Visit Moreland Phoenix Rising on Facebook
- Sign up to receive Moreland news and information about upcoming events