Vibrant Shaker neighborhoods create a more vibrant Shaker.
Enter Moreland Rising: the City- and neighborhood-led collaboration with arts, business and development partners to create a Moreland hub of innovation.
Together, we will:
- Catalyze entrepreneurship along the Chagrin-Lee corridor
- Explore new ways for neighbors to connect with neighbors
- Cultivate an environment that continues to inspire art and artists
- Encourage innovative housing designs that set the standard for years to come
Review our calendar of events and be a part of Moreland Rising, as an artist, developer or an innovator.
Shaker Makers Event
The Shaker Makers event is a show-and-tell-and-touch-and-taste for innovators and creators to discover and explore—all in one place. The inaugural event was held at The Dealership (3558 Lee Rd.) on April 22, 2017. Check back for future events.
Shaker Design Competition
In September 2016, the City announced the Shaker Design Competition, which sought Design/Build teams to create the next generation of top-quality, sustainable middle-income housing on tax-abated land in the City of Shaker Heights. Three teams—one international, one national and one local—received the top prizes at an awards ceremony on February 10, 2017.
- Listen to a recording of the October 19, 2016 Design Competition Interactive Forum.
- Read the press release announcing the winners.
- View the winning submissions
SPARKS! (Spaces, Arts and Parks)
The City has partnered with various organizations to help realize this vision:
- In 2016, Ingenuity Cleveland hosted monthly events aimed at artists and entrepreneurs. Listen to the July 14 panel discussion, The Artists Role in Neighborhood Development: What You Want to See and the August 18 community forum Entrepreneurship: Resources and Regional Impacts.
- Sankofa Fine Arts worked with residents to articulate their visions of the neighborhood, culiminating in the installation of a new mural for Chelton Park. The project was led by Sankofa artists Gary Williams and Robin Robinson.
- Shaker Arts Council hosted SHAC Pops Up at The Dealership in October 2016. Visit the Arts Council online for more information.
- Shaker Heights Recreation Department launched the Arts in the Park summer program, a free supervised drop-in arts and crafts-making time for children, in the summer of 2016.
- The Dealership, 3558 Lee Rd., is the Shaker Heights Development Corporation hub for entrepreneurs and inspired business ideas and will provide the meeting space for Moreland-focused events.
Connect with Moreland
In September 2015, the City launched a program to encourage greater involvement of Moreland residents in revitalizing the neighborhood. You can:
- Attend a Neighbor Night from 6-8 pm at the Stephanie Tubbs Jones Community Building, 3450 Lee Rd., on the last Tuesday of every month
- Learn more about the neighborhood online
- View our calendar of events
- Visit Moreland Phoenix Rising on Facebook
- Sign up to receive Moreland news and information about upcoming events
Visit the online home of Shaker Life magazine.