Van Aken Redevelopment: Chronology of Change
The development phase of the Van Aken District has begun, thanks to years of thoughtful planning and months of roadwork and infrastructure improvements. This page provides a glimpse of where we've been and what's coming next.
Learning more about the history and current status of the project is easy:
- Sign up now for Van Aken on Track and receive email updates about the Van Aken District redevelopment.
- Visit The Van Aken District to learn more about the project’s plans and progress from developer, RMS Corporation.
- Read The Van Aken District: A Model for First Suburb Revitalization, an article written by City Economic Development Director Tania Menesse which appeared in the Spring 2016 issue of Economic Development Journal
- See the Pictures of Progress – watch a series of videos to learn more about the project's vision, construction at the Chagrin-Warrensville Center intersection, and area stakeholders. Also, read about the retail and restaurant players who will call the Van Aken District home.
- Download the City’s reports, studies, meeting handouts, and presentations, and read FAQ’s relating to the Van Aken redevelopment.
- View the Planning Commission's December 2015 Van Aken presentation.
2016: Work begins on the Connections Plan for the Van Aken District. Demolition on Van Aken Center begins in summer, with several of its tenants moving across the street to Shaker Plaza. In July, RMS Corp. announces Beard Award-winning chef Jonathon Sawyer will curate and oversee the Van Aken District food and beverage menu. Sawyer also will open a restaurant in the District.
2014: In March, residents attend a Community Update Meeting to learn about road constructions, traffic changes, and development plans. In April, the publicly funded roadwork begins.
2013: In November, Dominion East Ohio replaces gas lines at the intersection. In December, RMS Corporation signs a Memorandum of Understanding with the City to make the first phase of the district redevelopment a reality.
2012: In February, full funding in the amount of $18.5M is achieved for the reconfiguration of the Warrensville/Van Aken intersection.
2010: In June, City Council adopts the Intermodal Transit Center Program Plan, which evaluates options and alternatives for the new transit/bus station.
2008: In April, the Warrensville/Van Aken Transit-Oriented Development Plan outlines the major infrastructure and roadwork changes proposed to set the stage for new development of retail stores, offices and housing.
2007: The City holds public meetings to gather public input for a mixed-use district.
2000: The City’s Strategic Investment Plan recommends reconfiguring the Chagrin/Warrensville/Van Aken intersection and developing a mixed-used downtown with improved pedestrian and transit connections.