Van Aken Redevelopment: Chronology of Change
The development phase of the Van Aken District has begun, thanks to years of thoughtful planning and months of roadwork and infrastructure improvements. This page provides a glimpse of where we've been and what's coming next.
Learning more about the current status of the project is easy:
- Sign up now for Van Aken on Track and receive email updates about the Van Aken District redevelopment.
- Visit The Van Aken District to learn more about the project’s plans and progress from developer, RMS Corporation.
- See the Pictures of Progress – watch a series of videos to learn more about the project's vision, construction at the Chagrin-Warrensville Center intersection, and area stakeholders. Also, read about the retail and restaurant players who will call the Van Aken District home.
- Download the City’s reports, studies, meeting handouts, and presentations, and read FAQ’s relating to the Van Aken redevelopment.
- View the Planning Commission's December 2015 Van Aken presentation.
2016: Demolition on Van Aken Center begins in Spring, with several of its tenants moving across the street to Shaker Plaza.
2014: In March, residents attend a Community Update Meeting to learn about road constructions, traffic changes, and development plans. In April, the publicly funded roadwork begins.
2013: In November, Dominion East Ohio replaces gas lines at the intersection. In December, RMS Corporation signs a Memorandum of Understanding with the City to make the first phase of the district redevelopment a reality.
2012: In February, full funding in the amount of $18.5M is achieved for the reconfiguration of the Warrensville/Van Aken intersection.
2010: In June, City Council adopts the Intermodal Transit Center Program Plan, which evaluates options and alternatives for the new transit/bus station.
2008: In April, the Warrensville/Van Aken Transit-Oriented Development Plan outlines the major infrastructure and roadwork changes proposed to set the stage for new development of retail stores, offices and housing.
2007: The City holds public meetings to gather public input for a mixed-use district.
2000: The City’s Strategic Investment Plan recommends reconfiguring the Chagrin/Warrensville/Van Aken intersection and developing a mixed-used downtown with improved pedestrian and transit connections.