Board of Appeals
The Board of Appeals hears:
- appeals from decisions, orders and notices of violation issued pursuant to various City Codes and nuisances (such as housing, dogs, sidewalks, grass, trees, criminal activity and others)
- point-of-sale appeals
- appeals referred by City ordinance to the Board of Housing Code appeals and the Maintenance Review Board.
Regular meetings of the Board are generally held monthly on the first Wednesday of the month. The Board is established by Chapter 132 of the Shaker Heights Codified Ordinances.
Filing an Appeal
An appeal to the Board must be:
- filed in writing with the Secretary of the Board (i.e., the Director of Law or the Director’s designee), unless the ordinance authorizing the appeal specifies filing with a different person, in which case that person will forward the appeal to the Secretary of the Board
- filed within the time period set forth in the ordinance
- sent by mail, fax or email, or delivered in person.
The Secretary of the Board determines whether the appeal is timely and within the jurisdiction of the Board. If the Secretary determines that the appeal may be heard, the appeal is set for hearing on the next available hearing date, at the Secretary's discretion.
The appellant will receive notice of the date and time of the appeal in writing at least 14 days before the date of the hearing, unless the appellant waives the notice period. Requests to reschedule a hearing must be made no later than three business days prior to the date of the hearing, except in an emergency. The Secretary will determine whether to grant a request to reschedule the hearing.
An appellant may present evidence and witnesses at the hearing on the appeal. Hearings are recorded electronically. The Board meets in executive session to make its decision on any appeal, and the appellant receives a copy of the decision within 14 days after the hearing. The Board may grant, deny, grant in part, or deny in part any appeal. The Board may also grant an extension of time for compliance with any decision or order from which the appeal was made.
For more information about meetings and hearing procedures or to file an appeal, contact:
Board of Appeals
c/o Director of Law
3400 Lee Road
Shaker Heights, OH 44120