Mayor Earl M. Leiken took office on January 1, 2008 and was elected to a third four-year term effective January 1, 2016.
Prior to becoming mayor, he was a City Council member for eight years.
He was a member of the Shaker Heights Board of Education and served as its President. A Partner at the law firm of Baker & Hostetler until his retirement the day before he took office in 2008, he is also a past President of Shaker Family Center and served on the Youth Center Board.
He has been a member of the Jewish Community Center Board and served as its President. Mayor Leiken is a graduate of Harvard College and Harvard Law School.
His other activities include:
- Chair of the First Suburbs Consortium, a group of 19 inner ring suburbs;
- Executive Committee of the Cuyahoga County Mayors and City Managers Association;
- Legislative Committee of the Cuyahoga County Mayors and City Managers Association;
- Board member of the Build Up Greater Cleveland (BUGG), a greater Cleveland partnership organization;
- Past member of the Council of Governments of the Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District;
- Past board member of the Senior Transportation Connection;
- Past board member of the Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency.
Mayor Leiken and his wife, Ellen, have lived in Shaker Heights since 1973. Their two sons, Jonathan, a current Shaker resident, and Brian are graduates of the Shaker Schools. They have three grandchildren in the Shaker Schools.
Visit the online home of Shaker Life magazine.