Updated: Friday, December 19, 2014
Cuyahoga County Public Works -Van Aken District Roadway Reconfiguration
(Click here for Other Projects)
Sign up to receive news and updates about the redevelopment of the Van Aken district: Van Aken on Track.
Current Project Work
- Farnsleigh & Northfield - The first course of paving was completed Thursday, October 23. Completion of the second (and final) course begins next week following curb and manhole adjustments begun today. Traffic disruptions and changing traffic patterns will continue during the next week to week-and-a-half period, until the paving work is completed. Motorists should continue to think about avoiding potential delays by taking alternate routes. Access to all businesses will be maintained.
The project consists of the reconfiguration of the Van Aken district roadway. The reconfiguration includes:
- Relocation of Northfield Road
- Closure of Van Aken between Farnsleigh and Warrensville Center
- Relocation of Farnsleigh at Chagrin and realignment and improvements to the intersection .
The project will also include:
- Pavement and curb replacement
- Utility relocation/replacement
- Traffic signal adjustment
- Replacement of sidewalks, driveway aprons and streetscape enhancements.
This project is administered by the Cuyahoga County Public Works Department. Funding comes from a combination of Federal, State, County and Local sources.
Estimated Cost: $8,400,000 Estimated Completion Date: November 2015
Project Specific Information:
- The County and Contractor will provide a seven day notice to residents and merchants when driveway entrances will be impacted.
- Residents and merchants are asked to locate and mark the location of lawn sprinkler systems located on their property. This will minimize any damage that might occur during construction.
- The Contractor’s work hours are from 7 am to 5 pm, Monday thru Friday.
- Blue signage within the project area will indicate access to the merchants.
- Report vehicle accidents to Shaker Heights Police at 216-491-1220.
- If you have further questions contact:
Field Office - 216-752-9047
Karvo Consruction Office - 330-929-9616
Cuyahoga County Construction Department - 216-348-3838
Additional project information can be found at the County’s website.
Lee/Van Aken RTA Station Reconstruction
RTA will construct a new station at Lee and Van Aken including new waiting pavilions, trellis arch, stairs, two new elevators and platform improvements. Construction began June 9, 2014 with an estimated duration of 18-24 months.
Current Project Work:
- Sidewalk on west side of Lee (over bridge) will be closed until the new station is completed.
- The main station entrance on Lee is closed. A temporary station and crosswalk have been constructed, providing access to the station on Van Aken, west of Lee (eastbound lane). Flashing signals for the temporary crosswalk will be installed.