September 11, 2014
Cuyahoga County Public Works -Van Aken District Roadway Reconfiguration
(Click here for Other Projects)
Sign up to receive news and updates about the redevelopment of the Van Aken district: Van Aken on Track.
Current Project Work
- Farnsleigh Relocation at Chagrin – The new Farnsleigh Road is complete and open to traffic. Construction work in this area will continue until the end of August. Please use caution when driving through the work zone.
- Northfield - The planned closing of Northfield Road at Chagrin Boulevard is scheduled for week of September 15. Access to Northfield southbound will be from Warrensville Center Road, just north of the Post Office on the newly relocated Northfield. Northbound traffic will be detoured to the newly relocated Northfield.
- Access University Hospitals Management Services Center from entrance on Warrensville Center Road.
- Access BP station and Tower East from entrances on Chagrin.
- Detour signs and message boards will be in place throughout the area. Detour is expected to continue through December 2014.
The project consists of the reconfiguration of the Van Aken district roadway. The reconfiguration includes:
- Relocation of Northfield Road
- Closure of Van Aken between Farnsleigh and Warrensville Center
- Relocation of Farnsleigh at Chagrin and realignment and improvements to the intersection .
The project will also include:
- Pavement and curb replacement
- Utility relocation/replacement
- Traffic signal adjustment
- Replacement of sidewalks, driveway aprons and streetscape enhancements.
This project is administered by the Cuyahoga County Public Works Department. Funding comes from a combination of Federal, State, County and Local sources.
Estimated Cost: $8,400,000 Estimated Completion Date: November 2015
Project Specific Information:
- The County and Contractor will provide a seven day notice to residents and merchants when driveway entrances will be impacted.
- Residents and merchants are asked to locate and mark the location of lawn sprinkler systems located on their property. This will minimize any damage that might occur during construction.
- The Contractor’s work hours are from 7 am to 5 pm, Monday thru Friday.
- Blue signage within the project area will indicate access to the merchants.
- Report vehicle accidents to Shaker Heights Police at 216-491-1220.
- If you have further questions contact:
Field Office - 216-752-9047
Karvo Consruction Office - 330-929-9616
Cuyahoga County Construction Department - 216-348-3838
Additional project information can be found at the County’s website.
Lee/Van Aken RTA Station Reconstruction
RTA will construct a new station at Lee and Van Aken including new waiting pavilions, trellis arch, stairs, two new elevators and platform improvements. Construction begins June 9 with an estimated duration of 18-24 months.
Current Project Work:
- Sidewalk on west side of Lee (over bridge) will be closed July 11 until the new station is complete.
- Lee main station entrance is closed. A temporary station and crosswalk have been constructed, providing access to the station, on Van Aken, west of Lee (eastbound lane). Flashing signals for the temporary crosswalk will be installed.
Street Resurfacing Project:
The City began street resurfacing in early June. The project consists of installing curb ramps (compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act), and replacing curbs and aprons as needed on the following streets:
- Belvoir (Shaker to Fairmount)
- Sudbury (Scottsdale to Nicholas)
- Colwyn (Milverton to Sutton Place)
- Fayette (Shaker to W Byron)
- Falmouth (South Woodland to Warrensville)
- Lyman (Shaker to Lyman Circle)
- Large Area Repairs - surface repairs on various streets
The general scope of the work includes:
- Phase I: Pavement grinding and jackhammering to remove asphalt from around catch basins and manholes.
- Phase II: Intermediate course installation to provide a smooth riding surface during construction. Catch basins and manholes adjusted; curb and apron work begins.
- Phase III: Surface course installation along with any necessary restoration work.
- Phase IV: Any necessary striping.
The estimated completion date is late October 2014.
Ohio Department of Transportation – Larchmere Streetscape Project
This is a joint project between the Cities of Cleveland and Shaker Heights. Construction administered by the Ohio Department of Transportation. The project consists of upgrading 0.64 miles of Larchmere Boulevard (Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. to North Moreland Blvd.) by resurfacing and partial replacement of curbs, walks and drives, installing ADA curb ramps, replacing traffic signals and constructing streetscape improvements.
Current Project Work:
- E. 127 St. at Larchmere Blvd. will be closed beginning Monday, September 15.
- Duration of closure is approximately 8-10 days, weather permitting.
- Two-way traffic will be maintained on Larchmere Blvd. E. 127 St. will be detoured to Mt. Overlook Ave. west to E. 121 St. or north to Fairhill.
Project Specific Information
- Project Bid Cost: $2,844,328.00
- Start Date: End of May 2014
- Finish Date: August 15, 2014
- The contractor’s work hours are from 7:30 am to 3:30 pm.
- Report vehicle accidents to Shaker Heights Police at 216.491.1220.
- Two lanes of traffic will be maintained at all times (one eastbound lane, one westbound lane).