Understanding Your Taxes
Municipal Income Tax (RITA)
Contact: Regional Income Tax Agency, 800-860-7482
The City levies an income tax on the earned income of all residents, the net profits of all businesses located in the City, and the wages of all individuals who work in the City. This tax is in addition to any income tax that a resident may be paying to the community in which he or she is working. Specifically:
- The City's tax rate is 2.25%. A resident who works in a community that levies an income tax is allowed a credit of one-half of the first one percent paid to the workplace community. For example, if the workplace community has a tax rate of 2.50%, such as Cleveland, the Shaker credit reduces the obligation for the two cities from 4.75% to 4.25%.
- This tax is collected and administered on behalf of the City by the Regional Income Tax Agency (RITA).
- Residents who anticipate an annual income tax liability, after any withholding, of $50 are required to make quarterly estimated payments. Estimated tax payments are due by April 30, July 31, October 31 and January 31 following the end of the tax year. The tax return filing deadline is April 15th.
- If you qualify to pay the municipal income tax, the Regional Income Tax Agency will compute your tax liability for you. The deadline for signing up this service is March 31st.
- New residents should contact RITA upon moving into the City to register for tax forms and estimated billing. Tax forms are also available at City Hall, at the RITA website, and at the Shaker Heights Public Library during tax filing season.
- Residents under the age of 18 are exempt from filing.
- Contact RITA with questions about your municipal income tax. Self-service phone options such as making a payment, checking refunds and estimates are available around the clock or you may speak with an agent during business hours, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday - Friday.
Please note that any questions about your Shaker Heights income taxes should be directed to RITA. City staff are not able to answer questions about your personal tax situation.
Contact: Cuyahoga County Treasurer's Office, 216-443-7400
Property located in the City of Shaker Heights is taxed by the Shaker Heights School District, the Shaker Heights Public Library, Cuyahoga County and the City. Each of these separate entities sets its own tax rate. The tax rate that appears on the tax bill is the combined tax rate of all four.
Property taxes paid by a Shaker Heights homeowner are distributed as follows:
73% - Shaker Heights School District
15% - Cuyahoga County
8% - City of Shaker Heights
4% - Shaker Heights Public Library.
Find current property tax rates for the community at https://treasurer.cuyahogacounty.us/en-US/community-tax-rates.aspx.
In Cuyahoga County, the County Fiscal Officer and Treasurer are responsible for determining property value, maintaining all property records, billing and collecting property taxes for all governments that tax a parcel of property. Property taxes are billed by the County semi-annually and are normally due in January and July. Property taxes are billed in the year following the tax year upon which the bill is based. Property is taxed based upon 35% of the fair market value of the property as determined by the County Treasurer.