The Police Department is an internationally accredited law enforcement agency with 68 sworn officers, and 38 support and part-time personnel whose mission is:
In partnership with our community, strive to ensure safety and security through crime prevention, traffic safety, and criminal investigation, while creating a work environment that recruits, trains, and develops outstanding employees.
The Department is comprised of the Office of the Chief of Police and two bureaus - the Uniform Bureau and Support Services Bureau - which are structured to be responsive, promote a safe and secure environment, and educate residents on crime prevention (view an organizational chart (PDF)). Stay up-to-date with the Police Department on Facebook and Twitter.
Contact the Police
The Police Department is always prepared to assist residents with both emergencies and non-emergencies. Follow these guidelines when contacting the Police Department:
- Emergency 911 Calls: Call 9-1-1 to report an emergency, a crime in progress, or suspicious activity. From a cell phone, call 216-491-1234 to reach the dispatch center directly, as calling 9-1-1 will route your call through Cuyahoga Emergency Communications System (CECOMS).
- Non-Emergency Calls: Call the 24-hour, non-emergency line, 216-491-1220, for questions/information.
- How do I report suspicious activity?
- How do I report a crime?
- How do I report a public nuisance, like loud music, rowdy behavior, etc.?
- How do I report a traffic incident?
- How do I pay a parking/traffic ticket?
- How do I report a problem with a streetlight, street sign or traffic signal?
- How can I park on a residential street overnight?
- How do I get a police report?
- How do I get fingerprinted?
- Does Shaker Heights require dogs to be on leashes?