Building & Housing
Due to the elevated transmission rates of COVID-19, the Building and Housing Department counter is closed, except by appointment. Electronic submission of plans and applications is preferred and will result in the most expedient review; however, hard copies can be delivered through the drop box at City Hall. If plans are too large to fit through the slot, please leave with the front desk receptionist. Should you need assistance in person, or if you need to use a computer kiosk to apply for a license, please schedule an appointment by calling 216-491-1469 or emailing email@example.com.
Temporary Service Changes in the Building and Housing Department
- City Hall is now open and the Building counter is open for dropping off permits during the hours posted to the right. However, the Housing counter in the Community Building is available by appointment only.
- No permits will be issued in person. Fully completed applications not requiring a review (i.e. furnaces) will be issued within 2 business days.
- Inspectors conducting interior inspections will wear masks. Additionally, gloves and shoe covers will be worn at the request of the property owner.
- Many inspections can be conducted remotely through our Remote Video Inspection program. Please inquire at the time of scheduling.
The Building & Housing Department is the gateway for all construction activity and property maintenance inspections in the City of Shaker Heights. The department has both Residential and Commercial Building certifications as recognized by the Ohio Board of Building Standards.
Our mission is to partner with property owners to ensure the City’s homes and buildings are constructed and maintained in a way that protects the health and safety of the building’s occupant’s while guarding against blight.
How Do I?
- Get a permit?
- Schedule an inspection?
- Start my construction project?
- Sell my home (Point of Sale)?
- Open for business in Shaker Heights?
- Get an extension on my property violations?
- Find a contractor?
Find more frequently asked questions for the Department of Building & Housing in our FAQs.