- You Are Here:
- Public Works
- Trash & Recycling
Trash & Recycling
Shaker’s beauty is enhanced by weekly collection of trash and recycling. Friendly and welcoming neighborhoods are free of unsightly trash because most collections are made from back and side yards.
Find your scheduled trash & recycling pick-up day.
- Garbage must be bagged or wrapped and then placed inside rigid containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Containers must be galvanized or plastic weather-resistant, not to exceed 32 gallons in capacity or 40 pounds filled weight.
- Do not store any other materials within 4-feet of the container area (our crews may mistake the items for garbage and haul it away).
- Containers must be maintained in sanitary condition at all times.
On your collection day:
- All waste must be kept in containers and placed in front of garage door, at the corner of the house, or on the driveway.
- Containers must be outside of enclosures and fences.
- A maximum of 10 13-gallon garbage bags per household per refuse pickup. A maximum of 10 flattened boxes (the size of 12"x7"x18") per household per refuse pickup.
- Clear driveways of parked cars by 7 a.m. so rubbish is visible and scooters can enter. Refuse must be in place by 7 a.m.
- During winter, keep driveways clear enough for vehicles to enter. Collection may be delayed a day following a major snowstorm.
Schedule & Missed Pick Ups
- Garbage and recycling materials are collected once a week. Find your collection day online or contact the Public Works Department at 216-491-1490.
- There are three ways to report a missed trash and/or recycling pick-up: use the Report a Collection Problem form; email Public Works; or call 216-491-1490 within 24 hours of your regular pick-up day to request collection the next day. Reporting a rubbish miss later than 24 hours after your regular day results in pick-up the following week.
- View Recycling Guidelines for residential recycling in Shaker. Recycling is collected the same time as trash. Please follow the Recycling Guidelines to ensure your recyclables get recycled. Recycling that contains too many contaminants (i.e. non recyclables and/or food waste) will go in the trash.
- Request recycling buckets from Public Works by email or call 216-491-1490. Please provide your address.
- Residents can also bring recyclables to the Service Center at 15600 Chagrin Boulevard on Saturdays and Sundays, 8 am-4 pm.
- View Leaves, Grass and Brush Collection to learn how to prepare your yard waste for collection by the City.
- Sign up for City ENews, which includes notifications of trash delays
- Subscribe to iCalendar feeds for trash delays and recycling events
- View this year's Holiday Trash Pick-Up Schedule
- View this year's Recycling Events
- Learn what to do with Large Items for Disposal