- Provides legal advice and assistance to the Mayor, City Council the CAO and all City departments, as well as to all City committees, boards, and commissions.
- Prepares and reviews ordinances, resolutions, contracts, and other legal documents, and handles real estate and labor relations..
- Handles litigation and claims by and against the City.
- Prosecutes violations of City ordinances and State laws.
- Investigates housing discrimination complaints and provides fair housing enforcement, outreach, and education.
- Conducts specialized training of City officials and employees as to legal rights and responsibilities.
The Department also staffs the following boards:
Fair Housing Review Board – Oversees the Shaker Heights Fair Housing Office, including education and outreach activities, and hears and makes rulings concerning housing discrimination complaints.
Board of Appeals - Hears appeals from the decisions, orders and notices of violation issued pursuant to the City’s Housing, Fire, and Health Codes, animal ordinances, and Criminal Activity Nuisance law, and appeals referred to the Board of Housing Code Appeals and the Maintenance Review Board.
You must submit your appeal in writing by emailing the Law Department, faxing it to 216-491-1447, dropping it off in person, or by mailing it to the Board of Appeals, care of the Law Department.
View the City of Shaker Heights Charter and Codified Ordinances.