ADA Grievance Procedure
The City of Shaker Heights has an ADA Compliance Policy. Anyone may file a complaint alleging disability discrimination by the City in its services, activities, programs, or benefits. The City developed this Grievance Procedure under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended.
- Write a complaint that includes:
- Information about the alleged discrimination
- The complainant’s name, address, and phone number
- Location, date and description of the problem
- Submit the complaint within 60 calendar days of the alleged violation by email to the Law Department, or by mail to:
3400 Lee Road
Shaker Heights, OH 44120
- The ADA Coordinator (or designee) will meet with the complainant within 15 calendar days to discuss the complaint and the possible resolutions.
- The ADA Coordinator (or designee) will respond in writing within 15 calendar days of the meeting. The response will explain the position of the City and offer options for resolution of the complaint.
- The complainant (or designee) may appeal the decision to the City’s Director of Law (or designee) within 15 calendar days after receiving the City’s response, if it does not satisfactorily resolve the issue.
- Within 15 calendar days after receipt of the appeal, the City’s Director of Law or designee will meet with the complainant to discuss the complaint and possible resolutions.
- Within 15 calendar days after the meeting, the City’s Director of Law or designee will respond in writing with a final resolution of the complaint.
Persons with disabilities can also request to file non-written complaints, such as recorded statements, personal interview, etc.
All written complaints received by the ADA Coordinator (or designee), appeals to the City’s Director of Law (or designee), and responses will be retained by the City for at least three years. Employment-related complaints of disability discrimination are covered by the City’s Personnel Policy.