Codified ordinances are hosted electronically by American Legal Publishing.
Codified Ordinances (complete through December 17, 2018)
Codified Ordinances Enacted After December 17, 2018
- Ordinance 19-14, enacted February 11, 2019, effective March 13, 2019: Amending existing or enacting new Sections 547.01 through 547.08 of the Business Regulation Code, amending Sections 901.02, 901.04, 901.07 and 901.08 of the Fire Code, and amending Section 1303.01 of the Building Code, of the Codified Ordinances, relative to the licensing of contractors, and the regulation of Hot Work by contractors under the Fire and Building Codes of the City.
- Ordinance 19-15, enacted February 11, 2019, effective March 13, 2019: Amending Sections 115.05, 115.06, and 115.07 of the Administrative Code of the Codified Ordinances relative to public notification of meetings of public bodies.
- Ordinance 19-54, enacted May 28, 2019, effective May 29, 2019: Amending Section 141.22 of the Administrative Code of the Shaker Heights Codified Ordinances relative to Thornton Park Ice Rink Fees.
- Ordinance 19-36, enacted June 24, 2019, effective July 24, 2019: Amending Sections 1262.03 and 1263.09 of the Zoning Code of the Zoning Code in order to improve the regulation of Type A and Type B child day care homes and to protect the public health, safety and welfare.
- Ordinance 19-43, enacted on June 24, 2019, effective July 24, 2019: Enacting new Chapter 516, entitled "Discrimination Prohibitions in Employment and Public Accommodations” in the Business Regulation Code of the Codified Ordinances, in order to establish anti-discrimination ordinances, regulations, procedures, and standards, consistent with county anti-discrimination law in employment and public accommodations. The new Chapter 516 expands the City’s anti-discriminatory provisions beyond housing (in Chapter 515), to include employment practices and public accommodations, by protecting and safeguarding the rights and opportunities of all persons to be free from discrimination in employment and public accommodations, based upon race, color, religion, military status, national origin, disability, age, ancestry, familial status, sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression.
- Ordinance 19-61, enacted on June 24, 2019, effective June 26, 2019: Enacting new Section 141.07 of the Administrative Code of the City’s Codified Ordinances to allow Police Officers to purchase retiring Police Dogs for $1.00.
- Ordinance 19-49, enacted on July 22, 2019, effective August 21, 2019: Amending Sections 515.01 through 515.05 of Chapter 515, "Fair Housing,” in the Business Regulation Code of the Codified Ordinances, in order to update and make the Chapter consistent with the language and protections of new Chapter 516 entitled "Discrimination Prohibitions in Employment and Public Accommodations.” The amendments add the following as protected classes: disability (in addition to the current term in the ordinance “handicap”), gender identity and expression (previously gender identity was included only as part of the definition of “sexual orientation”), and military status. Also added are the detailed definitions relating to housing for older persons contained in federal and state fair housing law. Finally, the legislation eliminates two exemptions: (1) the single family structure exemption; and (2) the so-called “Mrs. Murphy” exemption. Thus, the City’s fair housing law no longer exempts (a) single-family houses sold or rented by an owner, or (b) rented rooms or units in owner-occupied dwellings containing living quarters occupied or intended to be occupied by no more than 4 families living independently of each other.
- Ordinance 19-46, enacted on October 28, 2019, effective November 27, 2019: Approving the recommendation of the City Planning Commission to amend the Zoning Map and the rezoning of a portion of property owned by the Shaker Heights Country Club, Permanent Parcel No. 733-26-001, with conditions.
- Ordinance 19-93, enacted on October 28, 2019, effective November 27, 2019: Amending Section 141.22 of the Administrative Code of the Shaker Heights Codified Ordinances to increase hockey program fees effective January 1, 2020.
- Ordinance 19-102, enacted November 18, 2019, effective December 18, 2019: Amending Section 135.06 of the Administrative Code of the Shaker Heights Codified Ordinances to authorize waivers of the compulsory retirement age.
- Ordinance 19-105, enacted December 16, 2019, effective January 15, 2020: Amending Section 159.07 of the Administrative Code of the Shaker Heights Codified Ordinances to gradually increase sewer usage fees over a period of four years, beginning with water usage on and after May 1, 2020.