General Information About Fair Housing
Contact the City’s Fair Housing Review Board at 216-491-1440 to arrange for a presentation on fair housing, predatory lending, or training for real estate professionals. Brochures are also available for distribution.
Reminder: All Realtors and all persons who operate or manage a dwelling in Shaker with more than four units must post a particular Fair Housing notice spelled out in 515.05 Coding Ordinance
How to Recognize Housing Discrimination:
Under the Ordinances of the City of Shaker Heights (see Chapter 515 "Fair Housing"), it is against the law to discriminate in housing based upon any of the following factors:
- Familial Status (families with children under the age of 18, or who are expecting a child)
- Handicap (if you or someone close to you has a disability)
- National Origin
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity
Your Fair Housing Rights
It is unlawful for a person, on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, familial status, handicap, ancestry, sexual orientation or gender identity to:
- Refuse to sell, rent or to negotiate for the sale or rental of a house or an apartment or otherwise to make housing unavailable.
- Discriminate in the terms or conditions for buying or renting a house or apartment.
- Make, print, publish or post statements or advertisements that a house or apartment is available only to persons of a certain race, color, religion, national origin, sex, familial status or handicap.
- Represent a house or apartment as unavailable when, in fact, it is available.
- Persuade or attempt to persuade people, for profit, to sell or rent their houses or apartments by representing that minority groups are moving in the area. This conduct is commonly known as "blockbusting."
- Deny or make different terms for home loans by commercial lenders, such as banks, savings and loan associations or insurance companies.
- Deny anyone the use of real estate services, such as a broker or multiple listing service.
- Coerce, intimidate, threaten or interfere with anyone exercising or encouraging others to exercise rights granted under the ordinances of the City of Shaker Heights or the Federal Fair Housing Act.
If you believe that your fair housing rights have been violated, call the Fair Housing Office at 216-491-1440 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.