Practices, Policies & Legislation
In the sections below, learn more about some of the City's existing work in Diversity, Equity and Inclusion — in fair housing, for example — and catch up on new initiatives, like plans for the Chagrin Lee District and police reform.
- Read a Cleveland.com article about the first series of police reforms introduced at the October 26 City Council meeting and/or listen to audio of that meeting (View the Q&A from this meeting.)
- View the City’s Police Policy Review and Reform Matrix (PDF)
- Learn more about the policies and practices of the Shaker Heights Police Department, including the Bias Free Policing Policy and Response to Threat Policy
- View a recent Shaker Life article about the Police Department, which provides an in-depth look at recruitment
- Learn how the Family Safety Questionnaire helps the City's safety services, including the Police Dept., better serve community members with cognitive disorders, including autism spectrum disorder
- Learn more about the City's Fair Housing Office, which is charged with ensuring fair and equal opportunity in housing for all Shaker Heights residents
- Read a Cleveland.com article about the Small Business Recovery Assistance Grant Program, focusing on minority-owned businesses
- Learn more about how the City is planning a major reinvestment for the Chagrin-Lee District, including robust engagement with residents in the neighboring Moreland and Lomond communities.
- Read about the Van Aken Entrepreneurship Initiative, which provides early-stage entrepreneurs — especially people of color, women, and all underrepresented entrepreneurs — the opportunity to showcase their ideas, products, and services within the Van Aken District.
- Learn how in 2019, the City enacted additional anti-discrimination protections for the LGBTQ community