Updated August 10
Below is a list, divided into three categories, which will explain activities that are and are not going to be offered, and those still under consideration. In cases where activities/events are canceled, this means that those events were either not permitted pursuant to various orders and/or the City is unable to provide them in compliance with required health protocols. Events and activities that are still under review are being evaluated based on a variety of factors, including cost, staff and facility availability, timing and the ability to meet strict guidelines and protocols. This is a constantly changing situation and our review is ongoing.
NOTE: For any program/activity that is/may be offered, City staff and patrons will be required to follow strict social distancing guidelines, limits on size of gatherings, and sanitizing protocol, among other requirements. In addition, face masks will be strongly encouraged and/or required as applicable.
Things You Can Do
- Athletic Fields - Skills development and no competition.
- Basketball Court/Skate Park/Volleyball Court — Residents only*/use at your own risk.
- Multi-Purpose Trails and Paths
- Playgrounds - Residents are advised to use at your own risk. Please observe social distancing and small group size protocol. The City will sanitize on a weekly basis.
- Senior Adult Programs – Outside starting in July. Registration required; fees apply to some programs
- Senior Transportation
- #ShakerPlays – Registration required.
- Summer Play Days – New social distanced summer program for youth. Registration required; fees apply
- Tennis and Pickleball –(No tennis at Thornton Park this season)
- Virtual Programming Activities – available on the City of Shaker Heights YouTube channel, Shaker Recreation Facebook and Instagram
Accepted proof of residency: State ID, school ID, ProgressBook or Shaker report card
Things Under Review/Delayed Awaiting Further Guidance
- Special Event Requests – Case by case basis
- Thornton Park Ice Rink and Rink Activities
- Preschool Programming (Fall Sessions)
- Senior Adult Programs (Fall Sessions)
- Youth Programming (Fall Sessions)
- Youth Sports (Fall Sessions)
- Swim Lessons and Lap Swimming (Fall Sessions)
Things That Are Canceled
- All Shaker Recreation Dept. Summer Camps
- All Summer Session 1 programs for youth, adults, seniors, and preschool
- Block Parties - Summer and Fall
- Horseshoe Lake Pavilion Reservations - for June, July, August and September
- Summer Concerts
- Thornton Park Pool and Pool Activities
Download a PDF version of this update.