In early March, Dominion Energy Ohio (DEO) will start a gas main replacement project in the Onaway neighborhood. Impacted streets include S. Woodland Rd. (between Parkland and Chadbourne), Southington Rd., Huntington Rd. and Warrington Rd. (see map below). Work hours are 7 am to 5:30 pm
Please note that this is a DEO project, not a City project. Public Works is coordinating City projects (i.e. water and sewer projects) with DEO and its contractor — Don Wartko Construction Inc. — to minimize inconvenience to residents. Residents living within the work limits will receive further information from the contractor and DEO (see sample letter below).
Meter Upgrade & Move to Exterior of Residence
As part of this project, DEO will upgrade gas meters and move gas meters from the inside to the outside of homes in its service area, including in Shaker Heights. DEO is making this location change due to forthcoming new state regulations that will require new gas connections and meters to be accessible outside of residential buildings and above grade. DEO will communicate with homeowners directly about moving the meter.
City regulations for exterior, above grade gas meters are as follows:
1. Permitted in the rear and side yards, close to the foundation. In the case of a narrow side yard, the meter may be protected from driveways with bollards if deemed necessary by the installer/utility. Bollards must be of a dark or neutral color.
2. Permitted in the front yard only if surrounded by evergreen shrubs planted at the height of the unit and allowed to grow to completely screen the unit within 5 years.
3. A front yard location is only allowed after a showing that a rear or side yard location is impracticable by the installer and written acceptance that the homeowner will install the required evergreen landscaping.
Sidewalk Removal & Restoration
New gas lines are installed under the sidewalk. The contractor will remove the sidewalks on the affected street to perform this work. The contractor is also responsible for restoring the sidewalks when the project is complete. Please note:
- The contractor will work directly with the homeowner on sidewalk restoration.
- Concrete sidewalk will be replaced with concrete.
- Sandstone sidewalk is replaced with sandstone or, if the homeowner prefers, concrete.
- If the original sandstone sidewalk is in good shape (i.e. in one piece) and not broken during removal, it will be put back in place during sidewalk restoration. Sandstone sidewalk that is broken will be replaced with a new slab if this is the homeowner’s preference (the contractor will not reinstall broken sandstone).
- Broken sandstone can be kept by the homeowner; please call the number below or speak to workers directly if you prefer this option. Note that the homeowner is responsible for moving the broken sandstone off the tree lawn and onto their property.
- Call Dominion's Customer Service Center at 800-544-5768 with questions about the work on your property (meters etc.) and sidewalk restoration.
- Call Wartko (DEO's contractor) at 330-673-5252 if underground irrigation or invisible fences are damaged by the work.