- Phase 2 from Lee Rd. to Avalon Rd. starts August 8. Please note that during Phase 2 eastbound traffic will be detoured to Van Aken Blvd. The detour route will be Lee Rd. to Farnsleigh Rd. for eastbound travel. Local access only in the workzone on Chagrin Blvd.
- Eastbound 14/14A buses will also be detoured to Van Aken Blvd.; riders should look for temporary 14/14A bus stops on the eastbound side of Van Aken Blvd. at Winslow, Avalon, Ingleside, Lynnfield, 19406 Van Aken, and Farnsleigh.
The City will begin a major road resurfacing project on Chagrin Boulevard the week of June 13. The entire length of Chagrin will be resurfaced. The project has been delineated into the following four phases:
|LIMITS OF PROJECT||ANTICIPATED START DATE||ANTICIPATED FINISH DATE|
|Phase 1: Western city limit to Lee Road||Mid-June||Late July|
|Phase 2: Lee Road to Avalon Road||Late July||Early September|
|Phase 3: Avalon Road to Farnsleigh Road||Early September||Early November|
|Phase 4: Helen Road to Eastern city limit||Early November||Mid December|
The general scope of work for each phase of the resurfacing consists of:
- Task I: Pavement grinding and removal of asphalt.
- Task II: Installation of the intermediate asphalt course to provide a smooth riding surface during construction. Pavement repairs, utility casting adjustments, installation of Americans with Disability Act (ADA) compliant curb ramps, select curb and apron replacement will also be completed during this task.
- Task III: Installation of the surface asphalt course, pavement markings and restoration work
The intersection reconfiguration project will consist of removal of existing curb, installation and realignment of new curb & drainage structures, new sidewalk and ADA curb ramps, traffic control devices, landscaping and pavement markings.
The entire project is scheduled for completion by mid-December (weather permitting).
Traffic & Parking Restrictions
- For Phase 1 and 4 one lane of traffic will be maintained in each direction. However, motorists should expect delays if traveling through the work zone.
- For Phase 2 and 3, eastbound traffic will be detoured to Van Aken Blvd. Motorists will be able to travel in a westbound direction on Chagrin, but should expect delays during construction.
- There will be no on-street parking permitted between 7 am and 7 pm in the work zone (see phases above).
Information for Chagrin Blvd. Residents
We know that having a construction project on your street is an inconvenience. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.
- Ronyak Paving, the project contractor, will notify you in writing of its timetable before work begins. The notice will outline the planned work schedule and indicate any special arrangements available to minimize the inconvenience to you and your neighbors.
- If your driveway apron is being replaced and it is necessary to park on the street overnight, please contact the Shaker Heights Police Department at 216-491-1220 or use the online service at www.frontlinepss.com/shpd.
- For your safety, the work site will have signs, barricades and warning lights in place. Please follow the traffic patterns they establish. Also, please help keep neighborhood children safe by warning them about the danger of playing in the construction site or on any of the equipment.
- To avoid delays that could prolong completion of the project, please do not blow leaves or other debris into the street. Please advise landscapers of this request.
Questions or concerns? Contact Christian Maier, Assistant Public Works Director by email or at 216-491-1490.
A virtual community meeting was held on Thursday June 2, at 6 pm to discuss the project phasing and maintenance of traffic.