The purpose of the Building Department is to partner with residents and business owners to ensure their buildings are constructed in a way that safeguards the health, safety, property, and overall public welfare of the community.
The City of Shaker Heights Building Department is the gateway for all building construction activities occurring in the city. The department has both Residential and Commercial Building certifications as recognized by the Ohio Board of Building Standards. As such, it is responsible for the approvals for all building, plumbing, electrical and HVAC work performed in the City. This process includes plans approval, building permit issuance, and building inspections. Additionally, the Building Department is responsible for contractor registration, commercial occupancy inspections, collection of building fees, commercial nuisance abatement, and reporting construction statistics to outside entities.
Real Estate Point of Sale transactions, Housing Code enforcement, Housing Certificates of Occupancy and all other housing issues not related to building construction permit activities are handled by Housing Inspection, 216-491-1470.
By the numbers:
- Plan Approval: 1,100 annually
- Permit Issuance: 3,000 annually
- Building Construction Inspections by State Certified Inspectors: 3,800 annually
- Contractor Registration: 1,100 annually
- Commercial Property Maintenance: 250 Businesses Inspected Every Two Years
Additional Information for Contractors and Homeowners
- All contractors performing work requiring a permit must obtain a Contractor Certificate of Registration prior to commencing work in the City.
- Current list of Registered Contractors
- A complete list of construction forms and permits are available for download online.
- Qualified rehabbers can receive special incentives through the Shaker Renovator Program.
- Information about sidewalks and aprons can be accessed through Public Works.
- The Local History Archives of the Shaker Heights Library maintains building plans and permit history for many of the homes in Shaker. Visit their online collection to learn more about your home.
- Painting or doing renovations to the interior or exterior of your home? Read this important EPA brochure to familiarize yourself with the risks of lead-based paint and how to ensure your renovations are following lead-safe practices. Additional information for homeowners, and state-required certification information for contractors can be found online at the EPA’s Renovation, Repair and Painting Program’s website.
- When preparing residential drawings for submission, refer to Minimum Residential Plan Requirements
- All plans must conform to the codes listed below:
Code Version Commercial Residential (1-3 units) Building
Building Department Service Counter Hours
Effective June 19, 2017, the Building Department service counter hours are:
Monday thru Friday (excluding holidays): 8:00 am – 3:30 pm
The Building Department remains available to answer questions or schedule inspections Monday through Friday until 5:00 pm via phone or email. Additionally, all completed applications, plans, or materials can be left with the City Hall receptionist until 5:00 pm and will be processed the following business day.
On occasion, due to fluctuations in staffing, the Building Department may close for lunch.
3400 Lee Road
Shaker Heights, OH 44120-3493
Visit the online home of Shaker Life magazine.